Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Week 3:Karrah Bell


                Below, underlies an important question. I would consider the passage as dealing with identity and analysis. Dante, the main character in “The Inferno,” is clearly struggling with his own personal identity. What constitutes his right to the almighty heaven? He feels that heaven would not be the right kind of place for a man like him. The analytic structure is due to separating his reasons for going, as opposed to not. Dante has to take a good look in the mirror and receive encouragement to pursue his journey.

 “Poet, you who must guide me,
Before you trust me to that arduous passage,
Look at me and look through me-can I be worthy?

This particular question, quoted by Dante in “The Inferno,” caught my attention after reading and re-reading the passage. By stepping off the “right” path, Dante was thrust into a mind boggling experience. The basic understanding was: to get to heaven, you have to go through hell. He was faced with a question that I find I, as well as many others I’m sure, struggle with. Am I worthy of heaven? Can my bad choices be accepted to a kingdom that great? He is asking Virgil to examine his life and contribute his opinion to why or why not he should be commendable to heaven.
 Obviously, there was a reason why he was chosen and being guided through the gates of treacherous hell to see the light of heaven. Beatrice, the symbol of divine love, showed remorse and sent Virgil to light the way. After being reassured, Dante no longer hesitates. He understands that heaven is worth fighting for.
This particular passage struck me as important because it shows that Dante had a choice. He was convinced to continue farther to the gates of heaven, even though he was extremely scared of the difficult journey ahead of him. He could have chosen to reject the expedition, yet perseverance led on. Others believed that he had a right to correct his errors, which is why he was cheered on. He not only deserved, but needed to see the appalling stages of hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment